This page contains an overview for enabling the .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 8.1 prior to installing CAMWorks Solids 2015.
You can download the complete CAMWorks Solids 2015 Installation guide with the link below.
1. OVERVIEW OF INSTALLATION
Windows OS on which CAMWorks Solids 2015 is supported
The CAMWorks Solids 2015 application is supported on the following 64-bit Windows Operating Systems:
- 64-bit Windows 7 (SP1 or higher)
- 64-bit Windows 8.1
Flowchart illustrating steps to install CAMWorks Solids 2015
2. ENABLING .NET FRAMEWORK 3.5 ON WINDOWS 8.1
The .NET Framework is an integral part of many applications running on Windows and provides common functionality for those applications to run. The .NET Framework 3.5 version is essential to run the CAMWorks Solids 2015 application.
Note: If the .NET Framework 3.5 is not installed and enabled on your system, then CAMWorks Solids 2015 will fail to install.
This chapter explains how to enable the .NET Framework on Windows 8.1 systems.
Enabling .NET Framework on Windows 7 machines
On Windows 7 machines, if the .NET Framework 3.5 version is not installed/ enabled, then the CAMWorks Solids 2015 installer will automatically install and enable it.
Enabling .NET Framework on Windows 8.1 machines
The .NET Framework 3.5 version usually comes pre-installed on Windows 8.1 Operating Systems. However, on some Windows 8.1 machines, it might not be enabled. Microsoft does not allow any software application installer to enable the .Net Framework component. It has to be done manually via connecting to Microsoft Updates.
Note: To download the files necessary for successful installation/enabling of .Net Framework 3.5, an Internet connection is essential.
Steps to enable the .NET Framework 3.5 from Control Panel
You can enable the .NET Framework 3.5 version through the Windows Control Panel. (This method too requires an Internet connection.)
Following are the steps to enable the .NET Framework 3.5 in Control Panel:
- Open the Windows Control Panel. To do so:
- Click on the Windows Start icon.
- Click on the Search bar and type Control Panel in the search box, and then select Control Panel from the list.
- If the following UI is displayed, click on the Programs icon.
- On the left hand side panel, select the Turn Windows features on or off.
- The Windows Features dialog box will be displayed. Within this dialog box, select the .NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0) check box and click the OK button.
- The following message box will be displayed:
- In the message box, click on the Download files from Windows updates to enable the .NET Framework 3.5. (This option requires an Internet connection.)
- This action installs and enables .NET Framework 3.5 version on your system.
Type ‘Control Panel’ in the Search bar
Click on the Programs icon in the Control Panel
Alternatively, if the following UI is displayed, click on the Programs and Features icon:
Click on the Programs and Features icon in the Control Panel
Select the ‘Turn Windows Features on or off’ option
Note: If you do not find this item, you need to install .NET Framework 3.5 from the Windows 8.1 installer.
Windows Features dialog box
Windows Features dialog box
Note: For resolution of any troubleshooting issues that you might face while installing/enabling .NET Framework 3.5 version, please refer the Troubleshooting A section given in the full installation document.